It's official! 2014 will be all about "Radiant Orchid" #18-3224, according to the color authorities at PANTONE®
They've been predicting the hottest color trends for over a decade and are considered the leaders in professional color standards for the design industry. Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. describes this year's shade as "An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today's society. An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
We expect to see Radiant Orchid appear on the interior design stage in accessories, accents, and wall color--livening up neutrals with a warm rosy glow. PANTONE® notes that the hue is universally flattering to skin tones, reflecting a healthy glow on both men and women. And seriously, who doesn't want a room that makes you look good just by living in it, right?
Interior decorating is really just fashion for your home. When you get dressed to go to work or to go to play, most people add “accessories”. In fashion this may be a watch and belt for a man and a scarf, purse, and jewelry for a woman. When decorating or “dressing” your home, don’t forget the accessories. (Courtesy of Sklar Furnishings Blog)
“We sell so many accessories that they have become a big part of our sales volume,” says CDG Member Pat Howard of Skar Furnishings in Boca Raton, FL. “The staff love to finish the job after delivery.”
According the Jennifer Brouwer, of Jennifer Brouwer Design, the key to understanding the impact accessories make is to consider other examples of things without finishing touches, like a cake without frosting or a little black dress without the right jewelry. “Accessories cannot be overlooked or treated as an afterthought—they truly can make or break the look and feel of your home.” Brouwer also notes that, “More is not always better—you don’t want to feel as though you’re navigating an obstacle course to enter a room!”
Elaine Verhoff at SheKnows.com suggests 8 simple tips for accessorizing.
1. Go with what you love: Start with an object that brings you joy, and choose other accessories complementary to that piece.
2. Choose your colors: Contrast can add vibrancy to a room. If your furniture is neutral, go bold with your accessories.
3. Stick with a theme: will help create a cohesive look.
4. Consider symmetry: a sense of balance is part of formal design but if your style is casual, go with asymmetrical pieces.
5. Group according to size and number: mixing size and height adds interest.
6. Don’t forget about lighting: it’s an easy way to add instant impact!
7. Or walls: the ultimate canvas, you can paint a bold color or use to hang art pieces.
8. Or floors: Look down. Yet another blank canvas! Area rugs are an easy and flexible way to add color and texture.
Choose your budget and you will be able to find pieces you will love that will make your new home and space YOU!
Contemporary Design Group is a national association of independent contemporary furniture retailers.
All Accessories Circle Furniture Color Contents Interiors Design Dining Forma Furniture High Point Market Hillside Furniture Houzz.com Houzz.com Lawrance Furniture Lifestyle Makeover Mid Century Modern Mid-century Modern Milo Baughman Office Organize Perlora Pets Skandinavia Sklar Furnishings Suburban Contemporary Thayer Coggin Thayer-coggin Tips And Tricks Ultrasuede
Our Blog Roll
Who we're following!